Wednesday, April 27, 2011

War paint

War paint...once used to intimidate the enemy when getting ready for a slaughter...now used by women trying to conquer the world.  Perhaps they are one in the same?

I've often had this conversation with a certain friend of mine about the idea of makeup.  I've never been a huge makeup wearer, but I've also never been an au naturale kinda person.  There's something about the comfort of having a little coat of mascara or a quick brush of bronzer to make walking out the door in the morning that much easier.  Why is that?

I happen to believe that some woman are blessed with eyes that miraculously look like they have been done up with a little eyeliner and mascara when in actuality, they have done absolutely nothing.  Bitches.

Jokes...jokes, people.

Anyways, some women are blessed.  Yes yes, I know I should believe that I am blessed too but how boring would that be to read about?

And of course, there is always the weight issues to factor in...Fat day = more makeup.  Skinny day = less makeup.  Why is it that I feel that slightly more makeup on my face will somehow hide the fact that I have gained a few pounds?  Why do I feel more comfortable with what I've got if I'm having a skinny day?

One of the things I haven't addressed in this lovely blog-world is the issue of weight.  And trust me, it's a heavy issue.  But from what I know about me...larger-Lucy would rarely walk out the door without eyeliner and mascara.  Yet as I went through a weight-loss journey I found myself wearing less and less makeup everyday until I felt absolutely comfortable walking outside with absolutely nothing on my face.  But if we dig even deeper, what's at the root of mascara?  masc...mask?

From the time I was a little girl, all I wanted to do was play with my mom's makeup...wear her lipstick, prepare for the glamorous lifestyle that was ahead of me...yet who is this mask for?  Is it a way to emulate my inner-warrior or is it a mask to cover up my insecurities?

And what about work versus play?  I absolutely feel the need to put on my war paint before a day in the office yet I have no qualms about going to brunch on a Sunday afternoon without so much as a yea, I washed my face....you wanted more effort?  Professionalism?  Bravado?

And in all actuality...as of late I'm starting to think that the mask doesn't even work. You spend all this time getting ready just to have someone tell that you look 'tired'.  Guess my 'mask' ain't doing the trick anymore.  Perhaps I'll try a paper bag tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment