Thursday, May 5, 2011

How to take a compliment.

Exactly how does one learn how to take a compliment?  Is this something that is taught at preschool when a little girl comes up to you and says that she really likes your lunchbox?  do you learn to say thanks? do you say, oh I know, my lunchbox is way better than yours?  or do you simply shy away and look at your feet, hoping that the attention is averted from you as quickly as possible?   I am going to make an educated guess and say that as a kid, I was definitely in the latter...

...and with that, the statement of the day is that I am absolutely terrible at taking compliments.  (And no, this is not a post to brag about all the amazing compliments that I receive on a daily basis because that would be a complete lie).  If I wasn't struggling with them, there would be nothing to post about and I would just be a terribly vain human being.  Yet, here I am, struggling with how to handle a kind word thrown my way without thinking there is some sort of ulterior motive or underlying criticism.

Anybody have any pointers in how to take a compliment? 

1 comment:

  1. People like you because you are awesome..its really very simple. Awkwardness is normal, just dont let it turn into fear.

    ReplyDelete