Friday, May 20, 2011

Whores Devores

Amidst all of this philosophizing, I have my moments of sheer stupidity and weakness.

I was reading an invite to a cocktail party and got to the word 'hors d'oeuvres'.  I have come across this word many times in my life and usually just skim over it. 

Anyways, in the company of friends, here was the interaction:

Lucy: Oh fun, a cocktail party - says they'll have wine, beer, and...whores devores? How do you say that word? I never know how.

Friend: Let me see it....Lucy, that's... (and of course they say the correct pronunciation)

And upon seeing my sheer stupidity, they cannot contain their laughter.

Friend: Seriously, how did you think it was spelled?

Lucy: I don't know, I just usually spell out appetizer.

Sad but true that I did not know that these two things were one in the same.  Next time you come over to my house, I'll make you some tasty whores devores.

No comments:

Post a Comment