Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Mumbles

What, Mumbles? 

This is a response I receive on a daily basis from a few of my coworkers.  Apparently I mumble, quite frequently, and hence have a new nickname.  Mumbles.

Where does mumbling come from?  Is it a lack of proper training in enunciation and pronunciation?  A lack of confidence?  Years of being shy?  Clumsiness?  Too many thoughts trying to get out at once?

I'm going to elaborate on the last one and explain why I think I mumble so much.  I tend to go through periods of silence...not on purpose per se.  But there are days when I will go hours without speaking to anyone, not even a friendly hello to someone on the street....just silence, me, and my thoughts.  It's amazing to think that this can happen at work but it's entirely true.  Periods of silence just mulling over work, friends, problems, life...the usual monotony and longing for spontaneity.

Therefore, when I finally do break out of my silence it's like every single thought floating in my head is fighting to get out, but I find myself speaking quietly so as to not just walk up to someone and start yelling.  (I'm getting an image of myself as I'm writing this and it kinda sounds like I wander around to myself and mumble silently...perhaps I need to paint a better picture).

I do not mumble to myself...I only mumble to other people.  For instance, the girl who sits behind me at work - (and yes, due to space issues, she is honestly 3 feet behind me) - will often hit the back of my chair to get my attention prior to asking me a question.  This will catch me off guard, scramble the thoughts in my head, and as I try to form a coherent thought, I end up forming a completely articulate thought in my head but turning it into a mumbling mess.  Almost as though I have so many things to say and I don't feel like I will have enough time to say them all before I forget.

And then I digress...

I wonder if there have been a lot of missed opportunities because of mumbles.  Have I ever mumbled my way through a thought and when asked to repeat it, change my entire meaning?  It might even be a defense mechanism...And maybe not all missed opportunities either, as it might just be a lifesaver for that time when I mumble something that could have severely insulted someone, which of course, doesn't happen often.  Or it could almost be that mentality of ripping of a bandaid.  Say it quick and fast to ease the pain.  If the person understand it - good for them...if they don't - good for you.  Start all over again.

Any attempt I make to determine the cause or reasoning behind the mumbles will fall on deaf ears because at some point tomorrow, I will still most certainly hear:

What, Mumbles?

No comments:

Post a Comment