Monday, March 28, 2011

French75

According to my father, a French 75 was a famous WWI artillery weapon known for being effective against les bosches.  Whatever that means....

To me, on a Friday night at dinner with my family, it meant a lovely cocktail.  Gin, champagne and lemon served in a beautiful champagne flute.  Gin is great for those nights when you need a stiff drink, and champagne is mist over the eyes on a silly evening. 


I wonder who the genius was who went to the bar and said, "Oh boy, I love gin but it can get quite boring, and I love champagne but it's not nearly strong enough for tonight. Why Leroy, (because my old-fashioned bartender's name is Leroy), why don't you just mix the two together for me?  And while you're at it....throw in some lemon for a little flavor?"

Whoever this man was, he was a genius.    And talk about being effective artillery.....

No comments:

Post a Comment