Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Feng Shui

Remember that creepy icky feeling I got when I arrived in Miami? That one where you just don't feel right where you are staying....well that was the first apartment I stayed in - the one with the hallway that smelled like a combination of kitty litter and chemical toilet cleaner. Anyways, since I got this place through Marriott, I asked if I could switch locations to another apartment that is closer to the shopping area, restaurants, and bars. And mind you...this new apartment is a whole 5 blocks away from the first one :) They could not move me until yesterday, the 28th, but I jumped on the chance. Now, I hate moving...but it seems to be something I've gotten very good at because I've done it so often over the last few years. I was amazed at how little time it took me to throw all my clothes (neatly, of course) back into my bags and haul it all to my rental car. Got a little arm workout in the process too - I think I overpack. After work yesterday, all I wanted to do was get to my new apartment...would it be worth the change? Fun? Clean? Not-smelly? Pool? Gym? Will I feel safe? These were all the thoughts going through my head as I sat in a half an hour of lovely traffic - of course the worst traffic I have encountered on my drive home since I arrived here. I finally got to the apartment around 5pm and dashed into the lobby to pick up my keys. It smelled like permanent marker, still pungent but definitely an improvement over something designed to cover up cat poop. I got myself into the parking garage and was so excited to go see my new place I could hardly contain myself. Is it sad that I get this excited about a place I will be staying for exactly 12 days? Maybe. 8th floor room - not bad I thought. I stepped off the elevator and felt like I turned 15 corners before I reached my room. Yes yes, over-exaggeration but I turned one corner and saw the longest hallway I've even encountered - I was almost expecting the scary twins from The Shining to turn the corner and ask me to come play with them - it was that creepily long, however, it was well-lit so I managed the make the long walk to my room. And, I now understand why Marriott Execustay can get these apartments in nice buildings...every room is by the elevators, but hey, I'll take it. I walked into my room and felt like I could breathe a breath of fresh air. The overall feeling in the apartment was a hundred times better than my other place. It was bright, cheery, balcony overlooking the yes, working pool and gym. Sigh....There are two bedrooms, however, the second bedroom is completely empty. A little strange but it might turn into my dance party room...who wants to join? I quicky unpacked my bags, threw on my gym clothes and went for a nice long workout to get rid of the other stresses of the day. Then took a walk down to the grocery story, which is a whole block and a half away and I was just so happy. Sauntering by restaurants with outdoor seating, people sipping wine and drinking beer, eating delicious appetizers - yes, I was jealous. But, I was just happy that they were happy and enjoying their evenings. Well, this may be a ridiculous thing to write about but I do believe it's true that there is a 'feel' in a living location...I have also decided that I just do not like apartments. Thank goodness I am moving into a house when I get back to D.C. Feng shui my life.

1 comment:

  1. Gurl. I feel ya on the impact of an environment on mood. I simply don't feel good in Ugly. AND I LOVE THE SMELL OF PERMANENT MARKER!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete