Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Nose-Talgia

I walked out in the hallway at work today, which means I walked past the kitchen. Somebody had just made what smelled like cinammon swirl toast. I was instantly whisked away to my childhood days spent at Nana and Grandpa's....

My brother and I spent a lot of time at their house during the summer - we would go down for a few weeks at a time and spent a lot of time with our cousin who was right between us in age. Basically, every morning, we would sit around watching cartoons and Nana would come in the room to first of all, tell us to get out of bed....and when that failed, she would make us cinnamon swirl toast. I can still smell it to this day. It smells like my childhood.

I think back on it fondly now, even though at the time, I was most likely being called 'silly' by my brother and cousins. Silly was my nickname and I HATED it. I was the youngest and I was the only girl so therefore, I was the target for teasing. With a temper like mine, it was not hard whatsoever to get me angry and frustrated. Stupid boys.

Regardless, I miss those mornings and am happy that my nose can still pick up on those familiar scents and provide a small break in my stressful reality.

1 comment:

  1. I love how our senses can immediately and randomly transport us to another time and place. Nice.

    ReplyDelete