Monday, February 14, 2011

MIA Airport

Today was fantastic! I still had those first-day-of-work jitters, but I think with every new job I've started over the last 2 years, I'm getting better and better at each first day.
I got to the airport early and went to Cafe Versailles to grab a coffee. They cashier judged me because I ordered an "american" coffee instead of the Cubano. How was I to know that the Cuban espresso is like crack and I will probably order it everyday for the rest of my detail? Stop judging me Sir, I'm new in town...
It was a flurry of a morning. I got to sit through 3 hours of SIDA badge training, which consisted of different people coming on to give presentations while the man behind me alternated sounds of snoring and that of a little piglet. I couldn't tell if he was asleep or if he just had serious nasal problems. I got to sit in on the last half of the staff meeting with all the head honchos. Pretty intimidating people - but I've been in the presence of much worse. I was put on the spot and had to give a little speal about who I am and what I do. I'm sure I spoke entirely too fast, as per usual, but I seemed to say the right amount and get people laughing so it couldn' t have been too terrible.
I was amazed at how nice everyone was. They have all known that I have been coming for about 4 months, since we began the planning process. I was truly humbled by how welcoming everyone was and how interested they were in me, my program, and truly making my experience one for the books. I not only lucked out with a great location like Miami, but I lucked out with genuine people who love their jobs and love the people with whom they work. What more can you ask for in a working environment?
Granted, it's only been one day and tomorrow could be completely different.

No comments:

Post a Comment