Thursday, February 24, 2011

Notes on a blog...

While I was at the art festival on Saturday - I had some ideas spring into my head throughout the day. To ensure I did not forget them, I wrote a quick note on my phone...a few days later, I remembered I had done this and here's what I had written:
"Margs at fest...Band playing "Love Machine" song that reminds me of the Heavyweights movie...Gigs"
I don't know how I come up with these things sometimes, but the fact that I wrote 'gigs' honestly just makes me giggle. (I have a tendency to shorten words for no apparent reason other than it makes me laugh).
But, the above statement that may not make sense in short form actually means this:
I am drinking margaritas at the art festival. I got the topper shot in my margarita which is basically the long tube shot filled with tequila and placed into the frozen margarita. It provides an extra little zing. Standing in the afternoon sun and drinking a margarita with coworkers who I do not know very well but with whom I have had a fantastic afternoon. The band is playing oldies but goodies and everybody is having a great time dancing - especially the old couple in front of us. The woman is a little portly, is wearing a black tank top (too small) and black pants and has a belly dancing wrap with gold coins hanging off of it. She was very fluid with her hip movement. And next to her was her husband...hawaiian shirt, jorts (jean shorts), tevas, a visor, and oh yes, a fanny pack. While his wife is in her own world smoking a cigar and twirling her hips, the husband is having way too much fun with his pelvic thrusts.
Then, "Love Machine" starts playing and all I can think of is the movie "Heavyweights". Such a great movie about fat camp - the awkward dance scene that turns into a blast when this song comes on. The counselor in the movie dancing like a maniac and getting all of the other kids into the music. Ahhhh those were the days - that movie was so great when I was a kid....actually, it is still.
The fact that one song could make me think of one movie is what led to the giggles, hence, the gigs. And this turned into my favorite day up to that point in Miami. Standing on the lawn of a festival, a little sun-kissed with burnt shoulders, and a tasty margarita by my side...followed by appetizers and wine with the girls where the truth really starts pouring out. Fluid days like that are the best. No worry about making sure you look good after being outside for the past 10 hours...who cares? When you are having fun it really shouldn't matter how you look. I think I need to do this more often....I think Miami has been good for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment