Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day

Oh yes...another Valentine's Day.
That dreaded day that rolls around every 14th of February, complete with latex heart balloons, candy hearts that taste like chalk, and couples being all-out vomit-inducing throughout the day. The above is my normal view on Valentine's Day. This viewpoint has led to many-a V-day spent with a magnum bottle of wine and chinese food takeout on my kitchen floor (usually not alone though). My girls usually join me....the ones who aren't off being oh so super cute and cuddly with their significant others. Yikes, the cynic in me is peeking through again....
Anywhooooo this year I have turned a new leaf. I am trying to free myself of drama and let's face it...being depressed on Valentine's Day is just dramatic and over-the-top. Yes, it may be one day where you are MORE aware that you are single, but really? I am quite aware of that fact most everyday of my life. Is that such a bad thing? To realize that maybe I just have not found the right man yet? So I am going to toot my own horn here for a bit...because if you can't at least have that on Valentine's Day, you might as well throw yourself into a trough of Ben and Jerry's and top it off with too many lemon drops to count.
But, before I get to that, I guess I should say that I got some interesting news today about a person who shall remain nameless but meant a great deal to me at one point in my young adult life. Let's just say it was one of those typical situations....girl meets boy, boy and girl like each other, girl is silly in extreme-like, boy crushes girl's heart by saying we want different things etc etc etc. Well, I found out - ironically on Valentine's Day - that said boy has gotten married. Not to the girl who was around when our thing was fizzling, but a new one. Upon hearing the news, my heart was not crushed, my heart could only giggle out of the sheer ridiculousness of the words that had just entered my head. Mr. I Never Want to Get Married, done up and got married. I am no exception to the rule in this situation. This is a typical story that have been uttered by women (men too, I won't leave you out) all over the world for hundreds of years.
So, if I learned anything from this....here is it. I am awesome and he was not the guy for me. Just because it doesn't work out with some guy....so what? He wasn't right....
Hence, my attitude towards Valentine's Day this year. I bought Valentine's for all of my girlfriends (with boyfriends and without) to remind them that they are awesome too and that when I am in my lonely single state, I have them to count on. Plus, my Valentine's were hearts with mustaches....my humor may be a bit distorted but I make myself and I usually make my friends laugh. The ones who get me at least.
Back to tooting my own horn (and this is to toot the horn of all the other girls and guys who are feeling that pang of Valentine's Day right through the heart) suck it up, grab a glass of wine, watch your favorite TV show, read a book, cook yourself a great dinner, go out, do SOMETHING to remind yourself that you are all you ever need. And, if you are lucky enough to find that one person who understands your soul...treasure it.....now, SUIT UP.
As for me....I got myself some Cupcake Red Velvet wine (doesn't is sound elegant), sitting on my balcony in Miami debating what to make for dinner, and thoroughly enjoying this day with a laugh. I hope you are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment